"Use All The Crayons!" newsletter no. 107
Today's Theme ... "Auld Lang Syne (times long past)"
Today’s theme: “Auld Lang Sign (times long past)”
Related blog post: “Humanity’s resolution: ‘Opine less, compliment more’”
Early reader reaction to “Evan & Elle in Heaven & Hell” is …
Over-the-top! I’ve asked selected friends to edit or appraise the new novel I’m pitching to literary agents — the first step in finding a big publisher. Here’s what one friend said after reading the first four chapters: “Dude, I am in awe. This is hilariously brilliant and brilliantly hilarious.” And this is a friend who’s prone to sobriety! Wait until the drunks start responding! But I’m very pleased by the reaction of my early reader squad. I’ll keep you posted.
Jiffy movie reviews …
I loved “West Side Story,” our kids loved “Spider Man,” and I despised critical darling “Power of the Dog” because it’s being pitched as a Western but has storylines that revel in the kinds of activities John Wayne wouldn’t be caught dead doing. So to me it’s no Western. It’s more like an Eastern.
Cool “West Side Story” Trivia …
Which star did producers of the original WSS want to cast for the lead role of “Tony,” but who declined on the grounds that killing a man on screen would damage his reputation? (answer at end).
“Auld Lang Syne”
• Say “Happy New Year!” clear through July 5 when it becomes seasonally acceptable to once again greet people with “Merry Christmas!”
• Understand those who cannot remember the past are condemned to be forever berated over the failure by those of us who do.
• Year-end reports say Americans are now spending $200 mil/year freeze-removing fat cells. Imagine how much better off we'll be if spent same on stupid cells.
• Every day, if you can, do the same number of pushups, squats or a comparative exercise as the number of candles on your most recent birthday cake. Do no more, no less. If you start early enough, 20 pushups a day won’t be that tough, adding one a year will be a cinch, and the lifelong benefits will be startling.
• I used to pretend I was too sick to go to school. Now, I pretend I'm not hungover nights after I swore to wife I wouldn't drink too much.
• Ringling dumping elephants, thus depriving circus fans of the otherworldly spectacle of dumping elephants.
• Too many people who mistakenly believe they have the world on a string realize too late what they’re actually holding is a lit fuse.
• I’m like most fathers in that I tell kids, "I'd do anything for you." I differ in I always add, "'cept get a real job.”
• Does it make me odd that I enjoy Applebee's yet am fearful of bees on apples?
Author’s note …
How about resolving this year to every time you enjoy one of these posts to send me just $3, the equivalent to a Happy Hour draft beer and a 50-cent tip? Or just send me $50 right now and be done with it. Tangible appreciation can be made at (PayPal, Venmo, 874 Solomon Temple Rd., Latrobe, Pa, 15650).
All Chris’s books can be purchased through www.ChrisRodell.com
“West Side Story” producers originally offered the part of “Tony” to Elvis Presley.