"Rainy Days & Mondays"
Very dreary here today. Has me thinking of the ’71 ballad “Rainy Days & Mondays” by the Carpenters. I once started an argument with a tradesman over who was the all-time greatest carpenter. He said Jesus, which is the obvious choice. I told him the greatest carpenter of all-time was Karen, which infuriated him. Sure Jesus is the Savior and rose from the dead, but I contend if He’d have been a competent carpenter He wouldn’t have had the time to save our souls. On the other hand Karen was a true Carpenter. And you can look this up, but in 1975, an era when great rock was ubiquitous, Roiling Stone magazine readers didn’t pick John Bonham, Keith Moon or Ringo Starr as the greatest drummer. They picked Karen Carpenter. I’ve read that Bonham was infuriated, which indicates to me he was either hyper-competitive or took gag polls way too seriously.
Anyway, you can check out the video here. Pay particular attention to the drumming. It’s excellent.
One more DYK: Karen Carpenter and Steve Martin were lovers for a bit. I’m sorry it didn’t last.
Rainy Days & Mondays
• Your life will be appreciably more balanced & sane if you wake up Monday & realize your job isn't nearly as important as you think it is.
• Anytime anyone says it’s raining cats and dogs, declare it must be a real downpurr.
• Powerful thunderstorms through nudist colony could lead to flesh flooding.
• It’s going to take a lot of commitment I fear we cannot summon, but if we all become less intent on such mass agitation, the calm before the storm will one day become the calm before the calm.
• What percentage of malevolent Irma viewers are actively rooting to see an on-air storm chaser get decapitated by a flying pizza box?
• Make a list of three movies you believe in watching at least once a year. Pull the list out on a rainy day, turn off the phones, lock the doors and start making popcorn. Some suggestions: “Gone with the Wind,” “The Shawshank Redemption,” “Jaws” — all timeless classics.
• Because fickle publishing industry insists it is looking for timeless books, my next novel is going to be about a broken clock.
• On most days, happiness and sadness are not emotions. They're decisions. Now, being an asshole, that's different. It's a pre-existing condition.
• I admire vegans, but the chances of me giving up meat are about the same as me resuming my virginity.
• Would you find the Bible more or less compelling if back in Biblical times rudimentary selfie technology had existed? Imagine some of Noah's selfies.
• On this day in 1969, Fantasy Records released the Creedence Clearwater Revival song "Proud Mary." She's been rollin' on the river ever since. This leads me to believe not only was Mary proud, she was also quite buoyant.
• I’d like to have been a fly on the wall to hear what His high school guidance counselor said when the teenage Jesus told him God said He was going to be the Savior.